Sunday, October 21, 2007

One more lesson in mothering a daughter....

So my daughter continues to teach, humble, and amaze me. The other day she was crying and having a pretty rough morning. I was praying for my patience as she had been crying for no reason for over an hour probably. I just got her calmed down and then Cooper ran up to her and growled in her face (as he does to annoy her). She lost it again! At this time I had enough and went up to her and said “Honey, you have got to get in control of your emotions!” At this point she looked up at me and said “but mom, Jesus did not make me that way.”

OUCH! That went right to my heart. I need to accept that what would not hurt my feelings or make me cry, may touch her in a different way. I need to learn to accept my daughter for who she is and be more sensitive to her emotions as over time I have become numb to them.

It reminded me so much of this article from another blog that I put in the M2M newsletter for October. She hits it perfectly…. “The end of the parenting honeymoon means the end of looking at my children as I dreamed they should be, and, instead, accepting them where they are. Now. It means the end of relying on books, techniques, and comparing with other moms, and realizing I need to figure out what works for my unique family.” Article taken from: Katherine @ http://raisingfive.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Molly W. said...

such a precious story...sweet Avery. :)